Are you looking for a challenging role within an organization that provides rewarding compensation, an excellent benefit package and career growth opportunities? If so, Lake County Government is the place for you. Comprised of nearly 3,000 employees, it is our goal to positively serve the residents of Lake County while working with a purpose. We believe our employees should take pride in the work they accomplish while truly respecting a collaborative work environment.
The Forensic Analyst is responsible for cell phone, tablet, and computer forensic exams and analysis, supporting law enforcement departments in Lake County and any peripheral agencies as required. The position also works with law enforcement in the analysis of each investigation utilizing all cyber-related tools which will best aid their cases. The Forensic Analyst maintains and updates the forensic programs and tools within the Cyber Lab, and monitors and maintains the Cyber network, servers, and backups. This position is also responsible for working with law enforcement to develop search warrants, overhears, ping orders, and cyber-related court orders necessary for cyber analysis and investigations. Serves as a confidential employee and carries out the policies of the State’s Attorney. Essential Functions
- Perform certified forensic analysis of cell phones, creating reports and communicating with law enforcement and attorneys regarding the results.
- Perform certified forensic analysis of computers, tablets, external drives and analyzing results for determining essential artifacts relevant to each case. Prepare reports and communicate with law enforcement and attorneys regarding the results.
- Testify in court as an expert witness on cyber-related analysis and examinations.
- Analyze investigations with law enforcement to determine which cyber-related tools are most appropriate to obtain the most effective results.
- Track and analyze cyber lab exam statistics and prepare and submit monthly analysis to Illinois Attorney General’s office.
- Track and update license renewals on forensic tools and programs. Initiate renewal of licenses and maintenance forensic tools and programs.
- Maintain certifications as necessary for utilizing cyber programs and tools for analysis.
- Use forensic tools to access court/evidence discs for attorneys that are not accessible by generic software.
- Support investigators, attorneys, and Lake County law enforcement in tracking subjects with Ping (2703D) results using GPS and coordinating with various cell carriers.
- Prepare search warrants, Ping Orders, Overhears, and other related court documents associated with cyber related crimes for all Lake County law enforcement departments.
- Support law enforcement in determining and articulating probable cause for investigations.
- Update court related documents and orders with required language, coordinating language required by both Illinois statues and requirements of various carriers.
- Give presentations to law enforcement for the purpose of education in cyber-related crimes, including updates in technology, evidence custody, and trends.
- Give presentations to Lake County community (schools, parents, community groups, etc.) regarding various cyber-related topics such as internet safety, sexting, and cyber bullying.
Knowledge Skills Abilities and Education Required
- Working knowledge of computer and phone forensics and analysis
- Strong background in IT, networking, computer management and maintenance
- Ability to multi-task performing forensic exams while still producing search warrants and court orders, including exigent situations
- Ability to learn specialized analysis software and integrated justice software
- Ability to exercise discretion, maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive ongoing criminal investigations and uphold the ethical standards of the legal profession
- Ability to work independently on projects and under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with judicial personnel, attorneys, law enforcement, outside agencies and the public.
- Ability to successfully lead and motivate diverse teams of individuals to achieve results.
- Ability to respond appropriately in emergency situations and where policy may not clearly exist.
- Ability to effectively prioritize workload and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from law enforcement rank and file
- Ability to understand and implement chain of custody relating to evidence
- Ability to work independently, to handle conflict, and maintain professionalism
- Ability to manage project demands within limited time constraints and assess case priorities as they develop
- Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well with people from different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups including police officers, parents, and students
- Working knowledge of MS Office software and extensive knowledge of Excel
- Ability to write reports and routine business correspondence
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret documents and technical procedures
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
Lake County offers a competitive salary and benefit package. We also offer flexible working hours, and a comprehensive wellness and training program. Visit our Prospective Employee page to get additional information on why you should work for Lake County!
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam.
Lake County is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.