Digital Forensics Investigator
The Federal Public Defender’s Office for the Central District of California is accepting applications for a full-time Digital Forensics Investigator position. The digital forensics investigator will be stationed in the Los Angeles main office but will also work in the Riverside and Santa Ana branches. The Federal Public Defender’s Office is committed to the client-centered pursuit of justice by advocating for the constitutional rights and inherent dignity of indigent individuals who are accused or convicted of crimes.
Job Duties: A digital forensics investigator will provide specialized support to attorneys and case teams in all types of federal matters, including pre-indictment cases, trials, appeals, and habeas cases. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Using forensic tools (Magnet Axiom, Cellebrite, Forensic Toolkit (FTK), Encase) to capture and forensically preserve data from computers, mobile devices, and other storage media.
- Using forensic tools to analyze and review data from forensically acquired digital devices.
- Capturing cloud data, including websites, social media accounts, email accounts, and other sources of online data.
- Analyzing and preserving data utilizing write-blocking technology.
- Recovering hidden and deleted data from digital devices.
- Interpreting Call Detail Records and generating Cell Tower Maps.
- Recovering and evaluating metadata from video, photo and audio files.
- Tracing email header information and IP addresses.
- Examining firewall, web, database, and other log sources to identify evidence and artifacts of malicious and compromised activity.
- Advising case teams on the findings from the forensic data.
Requirements: All applicants must have an undergraduate degree in computer science, computer forensics, or related field, and at least two (2) or more years of experience working with forensic tools. Must have experience with operating systems (Windows, Macintosh, Linux, UNIX, iOS, and Android) and experience and familiarity with forensic artifacts and hashtags. Preference will be given to applicants with state or federal criminal defense experience. Certifications in any of these forensic tools is preferred, but not required. A background investigation is required as a condition of employment. In line with current appropriations law, applicants must be United States citizens or permanent residents seeking citizenship as described here.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be requested of the candidate(s) selected for this position. Additional information regarding the office’s vaccine policy will be provided to the selected candidate(s)
Selection Criteria: Candidates must have an interest in advancing the Federal Public Defender’s mission of providing high quality criminal defense to indigent individuals; must keep up with emerging IT trends; have strong oral and written communication skills; be able to work independently, be flexible, and take initiative; and work well in teams.
Salary/Benefits: This is a full-time, at-will position. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience and is subject to direct deposit. Benefits include health and life insurance, retirement, and a Thrift Savings Plan. Click here for more information on benefits.
How to Apply: Apply by emailing a letter of interest, résumé, and three references in a single PDF document to Cuauhtémoc Ortega, Federal Public Defender, at Employment@fpdcdca.org with the subject line: Digital Forensics Investigator Application. All application materials must be received by April 30, 2022. The Federal Public Defender’s Office may fill current and future positions from this vacancy announcement. Please, no phone calls.