The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a Digital Forensic Examiner in the Police Department. This position is currently authorized for two years; renewal will depend on availability of funding and programmatic needs.
Responsibilities of Position
This position supports police investigations through technical forensic examination of digital and multi-media evidence including computer hard drives, external drives, cell phones, network devices, information systems, tablets, digital storage, and other devices for evidentiary value. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, performing a variety of analyses, interpreting examination results, forming and documenting conclusions in report form, maintaining records, ensuring proper chain of custody of digital and multimedia evidence and related property, and testifying as an expert witness in court. This position may respond to crime scenes, including outside of regular work hours, to collect or advise in the collection of digital and multi-media evidence.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Forensics, Cyber Security or a related field OR Digital Forensic certification covering computer and cellular devices.
• Two years of professional experience in digital forensic examination or law enforcement investigations.
• Or an equivalent combination of work experience, certification, and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Currently possess a valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to perform the duties of the position including lifting 40 lbs., manual dexterity to use required hand tools, and flexibility to examine and retrieve evidence in tight or elevated locations, with or without accommodation.
• Digital Forensic certification covering computer and cellular devices.
• Digital Forensic software tool certification.
• Experience providing forensic support in a law enforcement setting.
• Experience in network configuration and management.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The annual starting salary range is $65,825 – $74,936, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications must be submitted online no later than Sunday, May 8, 2022.Other Information
The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion. Contact the Human Resources Department at (217) 403-8770 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. if you require an accommodation to complete this application or during any phase of the application, interview, or employment process.
The following locations offer free Internet access and assistance: Champaign Public Library, Champaign Public Library Douglass Branch, and the Illinois WorkNet Center.
Our mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community.
These values guide our work:
We act in the best interests of the City
We behave in an ethical and legal manner
We are open and honest
We follow through on commitments
We are loyal to the City
We anticipate issues, problems, and opportunities
We take initiative
We act to prevent and solve problems
We take responsibility for the outcome of our actions and decisions
We hold ourselves and others accountable
We treat others in a fair, courteous, and equitable manner
We actively listen and seek understanding
We provide a direct response
We embrace ethnic and cultural diversity in the community and our workplace
We are positive and cooperative
We are willing to apologize
We know and respect our roles and responsibilities
We ask who needs to be involved and we involve others appropriately
We define and agree upon the goals
We collaborate to achieve organizational goals
We help others accomplish their goals
We share authority, responsibility, and credit
We take pride in our work
We complete assignments and projects on time and within budget
We evaluate outcomes and seek feedback on our performance
We learn from our mistakes