The Forensic Analyst is responsible for examining computers, cellular telephones, and other electronic devices to recover data; analyzing data recovered during examinations, drawing conclusions, and formulating reports; working with various law enforcement agencies to review recovered data, reports, and findings/conclusions; and expanding and refining findings and conclusions, as necessary.
A criminal background check is required.Essential Duties
- Examine computers and related devices including cellular telephones, tablet devices, and other portable communications and computing devices.
- Examine devices/systems that involve electronic data storage such as video systems, cameras, and gaming systems.
- Analyze data recovered during device examinations and develop relevant findings/conclusions.
- Write examination and analysis reports that include relevant findings/conclusions.
- Work with prosecutors, defense attorneys, and law enforcement officers to prepare cases for court hearings and trials.
- Testify in court as required.
- Be a technical resource for law enforcement officers and prosecutors as they author criminal complaints, search warrants, court orders, and other legal processes.
- Provide assistance to other agencies on the technical aspects of investigations.
- Perform other duties, tasks, and special projects, as required.
Qualifications/Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of computer forensic examination experience in a law enforcement environment.
- Current Certified Forensic Computer Examiner (CFCE) certification from, or comparable professional certification(s) in the field of digital forensics
- Strong working knowledge of specialty hardware and software commonly used in computer and cellular telephone forensics.
- Strong working knowledge of computer forensic procedures, data recovery processes, and standard best practices.
- Strong working knowledge of Windows family of operating systems, Mac family of operating systems, computer networks, and computer hardware.
- Strong working knowledge of common mobile device operating systems
- Strong background in information technology.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of County management.
- Ability to work with all levels of law enforcement agencies.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and advanced interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible and have the ability to work independently, proceed with objectives, and carry tasks to completion.
- Ability to maintain confidential information and handle confidential matters.
- Ability to work on various teams and committees.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Current or former law enforcement officer or a minimum of three (3) years of experience supporting law enforcement or similar organization.
- Working knowledge of investigations involving computers, cellular telephones, tablet devices, and other electronic devices and electronic storage media.
- Strong working knowledge of common non-forensic analytical software.
In addition to the above mentioned computer skills, to perform this job successfully, an individual should have:
- Advanced skills in all Microsoft software including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to comprehend the fundamentals of other software programs; as needed.