Digital Forensic Investigator
The New York City Department of Investigation (DOI) is one of the oldest law enforcement agencies in the country with a mission of combating municipal corruption. It serves the people of New York City by acting as an independent and nonpartisan watchdog for New York City government, City agencies, and City employees, vendors with City contracts, individuals and entities that receive City funds.
The Digital Forensic Unit is seeking to hire an Investigator who will support a range of confidential investigations related to allegations of fraud and/or misconduct by conducting authorized and/or court-ordered computer searches and seizures, and retrieving, reviewing, and analyzing digital evidence and other electronic devices such as laptops, desktop computers, servers, mobile devices, tablets and CCTV systems for the Digital Forensic Unit. Duties include establishing and preserving the chain of custody of digital evidence, logging and securing property, assisting with computer related search warrants, and participating on a team of investigators and/or consultants to complete investigation activity.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a State’s Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization and four years of satisfactory full-time experience in an industrial or governmental agency in the field of investigation, auditing, law enforcement, security, inspections, or in a major operational area of the agency in which the appointment is to be made; or
2.A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above.
1. Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Forensic Computing, Computer Science or Computer Security
2. Knowledge of Digital Forensic Industry standards, chain of custody procedures, forensic methodologies, best practices and evidence handling
3. Proficiency with forensic techniques and the most commonly used forensic toolsets, such as EnCase, FTK Suite, Cellebrite, XRY Complete, and Open Source Tools
4. Experience conducting forensic imaging and examinations of digital and electronic media, including, but not limited to: computer hard drives, external drives, mobile devices, network devices, and any other device that stores digital evidence
5. A+, Network+, CCE, CFCE, or ENCE Certification
6. Strong attention to detail and high concern for data accuracy
7. Strong communication skills and the ability to testify to findings in Grand Jury and trial proceedings
8. Excellent organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and coordinate large numbers of investigations
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.