SUPERVISORY IT SPECIALIST (FORENSICS)
This position is located in the Division of Enforcement (ENF), Office of Technical Services (OTS). OTS is responsible for providing the highest level of Information Technology support to enable the ENF to accomplish its objectives, including the discovery, analysis, and presentation of evidence in civil cases and criminal cases brought by the Department of Justice.
- Provide advanced digital forensic services including digital evidence preservation, analysis, data recovery, reporting, audio/video forensics, recovery, electronic mail extraction, and database examinations.
- Perform a broad range of activities supporting the analysis of technical and legal issues pertaining to investigations.
- Provide skilled digital forensic support that requires the assessment, execution, monitoring, testing and calibration tasks for laboratory assets to include the regular use of certified reference materials and internal quality controls.
- Provide digital forensic support that requires advanced skills and knowledge of digital forensic tools, methodologies, and protocols.
- Provide technical expertise to assist investigative staff in the analysis, evaluation, and determination of the most efficient and effective approach to collect, store, search, and produce documents and electronically stored information (ESI).
- Assess and troubleshoot a variety of advanced technical issues related to digital forensic activities to include audio/video forensics and cyber investigations.
- Manage project tasks, including all activities associated with project management: project planning, progress assessments, quality reviews, implementation strategies, and user and staff communication.
- Provide advanced digital forensic support that requires research and development of new digital forensic tools, methodologies, and scripting tools.
- Provide digital forensic support that requires an advanced knowledge of international and industry-related digital forensic accreditation standards.
- Analyze large data sets and perform data analytics using specialized tools (i.e. Splunk)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen
- Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in you not being considered for this position.
- Supplementary vacancies may be filled in addition to the number stated in this announcement.
- This position has promotion potential to the SK-15.
- SUPERVISORY PROBATIONARY PERIOD: This appointment may require completion of a 2-year supervisory probationary period.
- SECURITY CLEARANCE: Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. Favorable results on a Background Investigation may be a condition of employment or selection to another position.
- DRUG TESTING: This position may be subjected to drug testing requirements.
- PERMANENT CHANGE OF STATION (PCS): Moving/Relocation expenses are not authorized.
- DIRECT DEPOSIT: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- This position is not in the collective bargaining unit.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Time-in-grade for this announcement is one year at the GS/SK-13 level.
Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sector. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies: reviewing work to ensure it is in line with established standards or to identify deficiencies (Attention to Detail); collaborating with stakeholders to make progress towards a common goal (Customer service); explaining technical information orally to non-technical audiences (Oral Communication); and evaluating alternatives to recommend solutions to hardware or software problems (Problem Solving).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
SK-15: Applicant must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS/SK-13 level: Specialized experience includes practical experience and/or knowledge with providing digital forensic support, to include the preservation, collection, extraction, analysis, presentation, production, and records management of electronically stored information contained on electronic stored devices in computers and enterprise systems. Specialized experience should demonstrate accomplishment of meeting and supporting OTS program goals and objectives; delivering digital forensic support, technical support, and customer service.