Physical Scientist (MEDEX DIGITAL FORENSIC EXAMINER)
About the Position: Fort Bragg is known as the “Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces.” It is a culturally diverse area with both rural and city populations and is co-located at Fayetteville, NC. It is centrally located just hours away from the beautiful beaches of North Carolina and the scenic Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. Fayetteville Regional Airport is located 12 miles outside of Fort Bragg’s gates and Raleigh-Durham International Airport is 70 miles away.
- Serves as the Lead Digital Forensic Media Exploitation (MEDEX) Examiner focused on the technical exploitation and forensic examination of computers, mobile devices, hard drives, data storage devices and other electronic devices.
- Analyzes workflows to optimize existing operating processes and/or develop new processes for the purpose of forensics exploitation and analysis.
- Conducts digital media forensics and analysis of computers and mobile communications information storage devices in support of cryptologic requirements and operations.
- Plans and conducts research projects; documents findings in scientific research format and facilitates publication and presentation of research in forensic journals.
- Receives, inventories and signs for physical evidence (weighing up to 40 pounds) and maintains integrity of submitted evidence.
- Detects and resolves any chain of custody accountability discrepancies according to established procedures.
- Participates in computer forensics quality assurance activities, as necessary to ensure the laboratory meets mission objectives in accordance with established legal and professional standards
- Represents the command at intelligence community forensics operational and training events, conferences, forums, and discussions.
50% or less – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This is an Emergency Essential position.
- Requires extensive travel (30% of the time), both CONUS and OCONUS, on very short notice. Frequent extended duty with long hours under high pressure with generally high-risk job responsibilities.
- Subject to short notice recall. Must reside within normal commuting distance of Fort Bragg (50 miles).
- Incumbent must be eligible for, receive, and retain a TOP SECRET/Single Scope Background Investigation (TS/SSBI), with access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) and selected Special Access Programs.
- Must successfully pass urinalysis screening for illegal drug use prior to appointment and periodically thereafter, in accordance with Change 3 to AR 600-85, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Program.
- Must be willing to undergo and successfully complete counter-intelligence scope polygraph with No Deception Indicated (NDI).
- Must undergo a pre-employment deployable physical examination.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- 30 Percent or More Disabled Veterans
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
- Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Physical Scientist (MEDEX Digital Forensic Examiner):
A. Degree: Bachelor’s degree (or higher degree) in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
B. Combination of Education and Experience: Courses equivalent to one of the majors, as shown in A above, that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes conducting digital media forensics and analysis of computers and mobile communications information storage devices in support of cryptologic requirements and operations; providing staff management and oversight to multi-faceted digital exploitation laboratory supporting the triage, acquisition, and dissemination of Captured Enemy Material (CEM); identifying, developing and procuring new or improved forensic computer examination and media analysis equipment and/or systems, programs, methods and procedures; attending and participating in professional meetings, workshops, continuing education programs, and technical courses.This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-12).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone–no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Administration and Management
- External Awareness
- Technical Competence
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-12).