Digital Evidence Tech
Performs digital and non-digital media processing, reproduction, and data maintenance work as needed. Performs skilled work operating equipment, downloading digital files from the computer and cameras. Maintains digital storage and retrieves property/evidence to provide services for other departments, command staff, and external sources.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collects, preserves, and copies digital evidence. Conforms to established and validated forensic principles.
- Adheres strictly to retention guidelines as stated in SOP, retaining or deleting files in a uniform manner.
- Prepares, logs, prints and catalogues digital evidence for Sheriff’s Office, Prosecutor’s Office and other outside sources.
- Maintains and releases evidence in accordance with strict evidence handling procedures.
- Testify in court on digital evidence procedures and produces digital evidence upon request
- Respond to requests for reproduction of media evidence to include prosecutors, defense attorneys, and Open Record requests properly formatted from public entities.
- Maintain inventory of media devices to ensure working units supplied to all departments currently issued equipment.
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: Twoyears of experience in a similar position or media related field.
- Understanding of current office practices, policies, procedures, and services of agency as related to media evidence.
- Ability to manage assignments and exercise independent judgement including adhering to data privacy policies and statutes.
- Provide prompt, quality service to internal and external requests, exercising patience, respect, and professionalism in all interactions.
- Familiarization with computer operations and various systems to include, but not limited to MS Windows, MS Office, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Operation of computer software systems and forensic software applications.
- Knowledge of various means of data storage and ability to download in multiple formats.
Certification: Ability to obtain Certification in operation of Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office.OTHER
Positions in this class typically require: walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Work is performed in an office setting, an automobile, and field sites with exposure to noise, diseases, cold and inclement weather that may require the use of protective devices.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amounts of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.