Kansas Bureau of Investigation
The Kansas Bureau of Investigation is the premier criminal investigative agency in the state of Kansas. The KBI is committed to its critical mission of preventing crime and enhancing public safety in Kansas. We employ individuals who exemplify the highest standards of integrity, service, and dedication. Come feel like you’re part of something bigger at the KBI.
- Hourly Pay Range: $22.16 – $32.78
Note: Salary can vary depending upon education, experience, or qualifications.
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
The KBI is accepting applications to fill multiple positions as aForensic Scientist in the Digital Evidence Section. The following position descriptions outline the duties of each level of position:
Forensic Scientist I: Hourly Compensation Rate: $22.16
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to: training in the area of Digital Forensics by means of an intensive two-year training program. Trainee will receive training in the handling of evidence and taking actions to recover, preserve, and analyze data from electronic sources, including computers, mobile devices, removable media, and other items deemed necessary. The trainee will successfully complete all required training modules, perform competency tests and a moot court. Perform general maintenance of digital evidence instrumentation and software.
Forensic Scientist II: Hourly Compensation Rate: $26.98
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to: performing digital forensic examinations on computers, mobile devices, removable media, DVR’s or video surveillance, tablets, wearables and other items deemed necessary. The forensic scientist will be a fully trained examiner who has worked in the field previously. Testify in court as an expert witness. Basic knowledge of case law and how it pertains to digital evidence.
Forensic Scientist III: Hourly Compensation Rate: $32.78
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to: performing digital forensic examinations on computers, mobile devices, removable media, DVR’s or video surveillance, tablets, wearables and other items deemed necessary. The forensic scientist will be a fully trained examiner who has worked in the field previously. Testify in court as an expert witness. Knowledge of case law and how it pertains to digital evidence. Reviews technical procedures and provides assistance with audits. Serve as a subject matter expert for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and its customers.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area of study related to the field of work.
- Effective written (including technical report writing) and verbal communication skills at various levels, are essential.
- Problem solving, investigative and organizational skills.
- Ability to think critically and logically.
- Strong analytical, documentation and communication skills.
Participation in an internship or as a technician with in a Digital Evidence Section.
- Master’s or other advanced degree in a relevant area of study related to the field of work.
- Certification in FTK (ACE), EnCase (EnCE), Cellebrite (CCO, CCPA, CCME), IACIS (CFCE), MSAB (XRY), Magnet Forensics (MCFE) is preferred.
- Experience performing independent case work (recovery, processing, analyzing and reporting of digital evidence) as a digital forensic examiner.
- Experience in testifying in a court of law as digital forensic examiner.
- Understanding of computer file systems.
- Experience with: file system forensics, registry analysis, Internet history analysis, timeline analysis, signature and hash analysis, and email analysis.
- Understanding of encryption detection and analysis.
- Understanding of managing complex large data set analysis
- Strong understanding of Windows event log analysis
- The Forensic Scientist in this position is expected to travel to the locations required to competently and diligently discharge the assigned duties. Occasional in-state and limited out-of-state travel may be required. A valid driver’s license is required when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements
- As a condition of employment, you will be subject to a pre-employment process to include a polygraph examination, fingerprint based records check, and comprehensive background investigation, including reference check of past and present employers. The pre-employment process will be waived for current KBI personnel who have previously completed the screening requirements